As we all know, Pine-sol is a great all-purpose cleaning solvent, as it can be used to clean floors, used in a spray bottle for sinks and counters, and even used to soak and sanitize general household items! What’s not great about the cleaner is the hefty price tag it bears. For me, a 20-ounce bottle at my local Wal-Mart can set you back nearly $4.00 per bottle. Thinking this price tag too much while in the midst of my debt-free journey several years ago, I learned to be able to make my cleaner for $0.25 a bottle.
What sets this cleaner apart is that like it’s commercial namesake, this blend is customizable. This is especially important to me as this allows me to make easy, natural, chemical-free cleaners which can be tailored by room, season, and even as a gift offering by way of various natural essential oils.
Here’s how to make it:
- 2 Cups Cool Water
- 2-8 Tablespoons per batch of Borax Powder (See Below)
- Spray Bottle
- Essential Oils (See below)
- Make a base solvent, using 2 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of borax powder.
- Transfer your base solvent to your spray bottle.
- If bottling a concentrate, mix 8 cups water with 8 teaspoons of borax powder.
- Store the mixture in a used, cleaned cleaning bottle.
- -6 Drops Pine Essential Oil and a cedar ball in the bottom of your cleaner = Original Pine Sol Scented Cleaner.
- -1/2 squeezed lemon and 2 drops Eucalyptus Oil = Lemon Fresh Scented Pine Sol.
- -9 Drops Lavender Oil and 2 Drops Eucalyptus Oil = Lavender Clean Pine Sol.
- -6 Drops Eucalyptus Oil and 1 piece of dried sage in cleaning bottle = Sparkling Wave Pine Sol
- -1 Cinnamon Stick, 6 drops lemon oil, and one piece orange peel in bottle = Mandarin Sunrise Pine Sol.
- -6 Drops Eucalyptus Oil, 1 Cedar Ball, and dried mint= Outdoor Fresh Pine Sol