Calling all chalkboard enthusiasts! If you are anything like me, you have at least a couple chalkboards at your home! For today’s Tuesday Tutorials, I want to show you a way to make customizable chalkboard paint on the cheap! This formula will allow you to make chalkboard paint in any shade or hue, for only $0.25! Considering the leading brand of green or black chalkboard paint is $11.98 a pint, this is a huge savings! This formula can be used on any paintable surface, including canvas!
Here’s how to make this:
Any color acrylic paint
Non-sanded white tile grout
Surface to paint
- Prepare your painting surface, making sure it is clean, dry and sanded smooth with a fine grit sand paper.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of grout with 2 ounces of paint. The addition of the grout will make your paint dry more quickly, so only mix up as much as you’ll use right away.
- Paint your surface with several coats of paint, leaving ample time for each coat to dry.
- Once it is completely dry you will need to “slate” your surface before you can begin to draw on it. You slate your board by running the side of a piece of chalk lightly over the entire board and then wiping it off with a dry piece of cloth.
- Create to your heart’s content!