Good evening, savvy savers! For this week’s Tutorial Tuesday, I wanted to bring you a recipe that was very near and dear to my heart as a child, and even now as an adult, my Homemade Easy Bake Oven Chocolate Cake Mix and Icing recipe! As a child of the early 1990′s, I was always torn between playing with my skip-it, togs, watching Full House reruns, or baking with my Easy Bake Oven, but the baking usually won out! What’s cool about this recipe is that you can make kits, storing the mix and icing in smaller snack-sized baggies, labeled, then placed into larger sandwich bags, frozen, and labeled for use later with the Easy Bake Oven!
You will save 98% off retail price with this idea; my kits are priced under $0.20 a kit!
This recipe is super simple, easy on the budget, and takes awesome if I do say so myself! Here’s what you’ll need…
Easy Bake Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe:
- 6 teaspoons flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa (for vanilla cake, use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla instead)
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- 1 Pinch salt
- 6 teaspoons milk
- Mix all dry ingredients, slowly.
- Add milk.
- Pour batter into the greased baking pan that comes with the toy oven.
- Bake as directed in children’s oven.
- Cool for 3-4 minutes before icing, serving, or freezing.
Easy Bake Oven Icing Recipe:
- 2 cups confectioners sugar — sifted
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat milk powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Combine all ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of mixture into each of 9 small containers or zip-lock bags and seal tightly.
- Label with date and contents.
- Store in a cool dry place. Use within 12 weeks. Makes 9 packages of Frosting.
- Kits can also be frozen, for up to six months at a time.