Good afternoon, savvy savers! This week marks one of my childhood hometowns annual festival and cook-offs, the Roanoke Valley Strawberry Festival. So, today in honor of this far away but near to my heart event, I want to share one of my favorite strawberry recipes, my Spring and Summer Neapolitan Trifle! I can make this dessert from ingredients solely from the Dollar Tree, use frozen cake, cupcake, and cookie scraps crumbled to save money, and aside from the berries which I often buy on buy-one-get-one-free sales from Winn-Dixie, I can make this dessert for under $4.00, which consists of fourteen 1 cup servings. The Trifle dish itself was purchased at Walmart for $4.98! This is a favorite recipe, and one that I find works best made the night before, which allows the juice, pudding, and layering-medium of choice to meld together!
Write a review
- 10 cake slices, or cupcake crumbles (6 cups of crumbles, if used)
- 1 lg. container (12 oz.) whipped topping
- 2 lg. packages of vanilla instant pudding
- 2 pts. fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 c. maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries & pecans, or cookie toppings
- If using fresh strawberries, hull, wash, slice and add sweetener to taste; a good rule of thumbs for making a simple fruit glaze is one tablespoon of water to 1/4 cup sweetener. Once the fruit is glazed, let stand ten minutes.
- Line a trifle bowl with cake slices, or cupcake crumbles, if that’s what you have on hand.
- Make the vanilla pudding according to instructions on the package; add 1 tablespoon cherry juice.
- Sprinkle the cookies, lady fingers, cake slices, or cupcake crumbles with maraschino cherry juice, then put a layer of pudding, strawberries and whipped topping.
- Repeat step 4 with a second layer and end with the whipped topping.
- Arrange quartered strawberries on the top of the trifle, seed-side out.
- Add chocolate sauce around the strawberries; the sauce will spread out.
- Refrigerate to chill before serving.
The LadyPrefers2Save http://theladyprefers2save.com/