Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post for BrandBacker.com and Litter Genie. I received this free in exchange for my honest review & opinion. To read this blog full disclosure policy, click here. Thank you.
There are very few things worse than walking to an otherwise clean home and smelling the dreaded litter box smell. You know the smell, that dastardly scent of a port-a-potty mixed with soured laundry. It’s the worst. And as any cat owner will tell you, it’s a smell you avoid having in your home at all cost.
While keeping litter box odors at bay would be simple enough if your day wasn’t so sacrosanct with all things adulting, which is why modern litter disposal systems, like the Litter Genie®, were developed.
The Litter Genie® gives cat owners a preferable alternative to using free plastic or paper grocery bags for collecting and disposing of cat litter box waste. More importantly, the Litter Genie® aids in overall cat health by way of preventing cystitis, a serious urinary tract condition. Cystitis is also one of the top causes for litter box avoidance in cats, as they relate the pain of urinating with the litter box, inappropriate marking, and elimination in non-litter box areas of your home.
So as a pet owner, when it comes to Boo Radley’s health, any product that I can bring into my home that helps promote his health, I’m on board!
- The Litter Genie Unit with a built-in scoop holder, a litter scoop, and the standard Litter Genie refill cartridge, containing 14 feet of the refill bag material.
- The unit measures 9.5 X 8.5 X 17 Inches tall and weighs 3.3. pounds (empty, I presume).
- Comes in two colors: white or silver.
- The Litter Genie website claims that one refill cartridge can last up to two months for one cat.
- The refill cartridge is said to be 30% longer than the standard cartridge that comes in the box with the Litter Genie.
System costs (from their website):
- Litter Genie® PAIL $14.99 – $16.99 (MSRP)
- Litter Genie® REFILL $5.99 – $35.99 (MSRP)
- Litter Genie® Refills last up to two months for one cat.
- Available in single, two and four-pack pack options.
- Litter Genie® is available in Petco, Pet Smart, Target, Walmart, Amazon.com, Chewy.com, and other retailers where pet products are sold.
Reasons to try the system:
- Litter Genie® has a smaller footprint than other litter box waste collecting systems on the market.
- The price is right at $15 – approximately one-quarter of the going price for other systems.
- Built-in carrying handles enable the user to carry the Litter Locker from room to room, as needed.
- I could detect absolutely no odor with the top lid closed, even if waste was in the top holder.
- The Litter Genie website refers to these odor-free properties as “five-layer refill bags with built-in odor barrier technology”
- The Litter Genie® was easy to assemble, taking me less than five minutes from start to finish.
- The Litter Genie® Pail holds up to two weeks of cat litter (for one cat) and with the seven-layer refill bags, it helps lock stinky germs and odors away too.
Thoughts About the Litter Genie®:
Overall, the system has worked well for my home and the product does indeed keep the whole house free of obvious cat odor. Litter Genie® brings you a hassle-free compact cat litter disposal system. I’ve been able to fit the Litter Genie® next to my existing litter box on unused kitchen cabinet cubbies. I enjoy the systems sleek design as well.
It terms of utility, the Litter Genie® Pail excels in its ability to hold up to two weeks of cat litter (for one cat) and with the seven-layer refill bags, it helps lock stinky germs and odors away too. So, you can forget about those constant trips to the trash! I love that I’m able to collect a week’s worth of litter for disposal at the end of each week.
Mind you, I do plan to make this system more zero-waste by using compostable pet waste bags and compostable litter moving forward once my cartridge is finished. This will bring further utility to this system and extend my conscionable use of the system with my zero-waste home and minimalist pet care routines.
Also worth considering are future costs of the system. As with many products today, the cost of the refill cartridge can quickly add up to many times the original cost of the entire unit. Also, I found that the “child-safe” built-in bag cutter doesn’t work well. I ended up having to use scissors to cut the end of the bag all the way through at times, though this was not a deal breaker for me but did warrant mentioning.
Whether you’re the cat owner, family member or friend, we can all appreciate how odor from soiled cat litter can take over your home. Litter Genie’s unique design and technology means these issues are locked away – providing peace of mind for you, any planned or unplanned visitors, and most importantly, your cat.
Would I encourage a friend to purchase the Litter Genie? Yes, especially for pet owners of male cats, whose urine smell tends to be more potent in odor. This system will your nose, and home, much-needed odor-blocking relief.
Now if you’re looking to find out more about the Litter Genie® system check out the following links for more detailed product information:
So friends, now I have to ask, do you use a litter box collection system at home or are you a current Litter Genie® owner already? I’d love to hear about it below!
Here’s to cleaner homes,