Despite all the glitz and glamour we currently see in the stores this time of year, it’s still Fall. And, the holiday season is not quite here. For at least the next twenty-five days anyway!
Which means there’s still plenty of time to enjoy seasonal takes on classic dishes, including creamy, delicious macaroni and cheese. Just with a vegan twist on this holiday classic, for Pumpkin Mac and Cheese.
Made with organic garlic, pan-fried mushrooms, Go Veggie Parmesan Topping, Daiya Cheddar Cheese, Gluten-Free Bob’s Red Mill Flour, and organic pumpkin puree, this super healthy, gluten-free, low-fat Pumpkin Mac and Cheese dish is one you’ll come back to time and time again!
This recipe is also super easy to make. As you can use organic canned pumpkin puree. Which makes not only a light, creamy, cheese sauce but a super quick weeknight meal too! Be sure to check out below on how to make my favorite Fall Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese. You’ll be glad you did!
You can also check out my other healthy recipes on the blog too! Many perfect for holiday noshing at home this holiday season! Now, I want to ask, do you have a favorite macaroni and cheese recipe? I’d love to hear about it below!
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance Spread
- 1/2 Teaspoon Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Gluten-Free Bob's Red Mill Flour
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3/4 cup Organic Pumpkin Puree (not pie puree)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp shredded Daiya Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Cups gluten-Free Pasta; I used Shell Pasta
- 1/4 Teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Pan Fried Mushrooms
- 1/2 Gallon Filtered Water for Boiling Pasta
- Dash of Nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly oil 11" x 13" baking pan or 4 ramekins.
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to package directions.
- While macaroni cooks, melt your Earth Balance in a medium pot over medium heat. As soon the butter begins to brown, add the flour and whisk until you form a rue.
- Add your finely minced mushrooms and cook down for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add your flour and slowly whisk in the milk into your rue, which will form a creamy, white sauce.
- Continuously whisk your sauce for 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly add the pumpkin, 1/4 can at a time.
- Add the 1/2 cup Daiya Cheddar Cheese.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return it to its pot.
- Mix your pasta and sauce until evenly coated.
- Pour your macaroni and cheese into your baking dish of choice, and top with the reserved Daiya cheddar plus more salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and remaining cheese sprinkles.
- Please note, this recipe can be baked ahead of time and frozen, or created to be used as a freezer-ready crockpot meal, when paired with broccoli and bread, too!