Hello again, savvy savers! With the Autumn season fully in swing, I wanted to put together several prepare several freezer cooking that could be quickly put together for simple weeknight meals during the busier holiday season ahead including one of my favorite cranberry dishes, Crock Pot Pork Loin with Apple-Cranberry Sauce recipe.
What’s nice about this dish, is that is can be made for a weeknight dinner, taken along to a potluck meal, or even served for Christmas Dinner. While this recipe calls for a pork loin, which is normally an expensive item, this time of year pork loin and smoked picknicks can be purchased at nearly half the price you will find in your local markets during the summer grilling season.
And my favorite part of this recipe? This recipe is uber aromatic, in that it uses rosemary, granny smith apples, and cranberries. A combination that smells reminiscent of the holiday season for me!
This recipe is perfect for Sunday dinners at home or made ahead of time as freezer-ready holiday weeknight meals at home! served with mashed potatoes, brown sugar carrots, and a side salad. Super delicious! So folk, if you have any freezer-friendly pork loin meals, I’d love to hear about them below as well.
- 1 Whole, trimmed Pork Tenderloin
- Salt And Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
- ½ whole Medium Onion (can be substituted for turnip or parsnips)
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¾ cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth or bone broth
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (12 oz. bag)
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and diced organic granny smith apples
- 1 Cup Truvia (or sugar)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- In a medium to large saucepan, simmer the oranges juice and water for about five minutes.
- Then add the sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the cranberries and granny smith apples.
- Simmer until they pop open and became translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Freezer in small, pint size baggies for up to a year.
- Thaw one baggie of cranberry sauce; save your baggie.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cranberry sauce, honey, and minced onion; taste and re-season as needed.
- Place sauce back in cranberry sauce baggie; freeze flat for two hours or until completely frozen.
- Take a larger 1 quart bag and place pork roast inside; freeze flat for three hours or until frozen.
- Now place the pork roast baggie and cranberry sauce baggie inside a 1 gallon Ziploc bag, and label accordingly.
- Thaw the freezer meal, overnight in the fridge.
- Using the oil from your pan, season your crockpot with olive oil, or additional cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet, use your salt, pepper, and olive oil to lightly sear your pork loin.
- Next place the pork loin in your crock pot.
- Pour your thawed cranberry mixture over the pork..
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve sliced or shredded.
- This dish pairs well with steamed green beans, carrots, mashed potatoes or cauliflower, and rolls. Enjoy!