Good morning, savvy savers! So this past week at my home, albeit low-key, have been jammed packed with DIY projects and freezer cooking sessions! With all that cooking, comes a whole lot of cleaning, and for me that means whipping out my commercial for keeping my counter tops cleaned, Method Grapefruit Spray! That spray rocks!
As much as I love the cleaner, I am also looking to further cut my bankbook strings in 2015, so I decided to try a DIY version this year! With that said, for the past few days I have been using apps savings from Snap by Groupon, to save on Scarlet Grapefruits at my local Sam’s Club (shopping scenarios to come in the next few days), and instead of composting the Grapefruit peels, I started the first steps to making Homemade Grapefruit Counter top Cleaner!
With the outrageous cost of commercial glass cleaners, I created an organic, non-toxic, child and pet-safe all purpose cleaner which can be for under $5.00 for a years worth of cleaner! As the average cost of a bottle of store-bought orange cleaner is 3.89, and I use a bottle of spray a month, that’s a savings of $48.68 a year! Here’s how to make this!
- 1 Clean, dried mason jar
- The peels of 3 grapefruits
- 2 Cups Distilled, white vinegar
- 10 drops Essential Grapefruit Oil
- 1 Empty Bottle
- 1 Funnel
- 1 Plastic Bowl
- 1 Sifter
- Obtain a clean mason jar, and fill it with 16 ounces, 2 cups, of distilled white vinegar.
- Place the peel of three grapefruits in the mason jar with the vinegar.
- Add the 10 drops of essential oil to the top of the jar.
- Secure the cap and ring on the mason jar.
- Store the jar in a cool, dry place for 14 days; I have stored the jars in both my pantry and garage without issues.
- On the 15th day, open the jar and strain the contents into a sifter, over a plastic bowl.
- Return the solution to the mason jar with a funnel; label your jar as cleaning concentrate.
- Open a spray bottle and add 1/4 cup of the solution, 2 ounces, to 5 cups water.
- Seal the bottle and shake gently.
- Use in conjunction with newspaper to clean most glass surfaces, including counters.
This is an awesome cleaner! I hope you will think so, too!
Enjoy the clean!