Hello again, savvy savers! For this weeks Saving On The Go Post, I want to remind you all to check out the site MissingMoney.com. This site, established in 1999, is a national database that enables you to perform searches for lost assets required by law to be turned over to the states – funds potentially due from past employers, utility companies, stocks, mutual funds, inheritance, over-payment of state taxes, and much more! You would potentially be missing out on money rightly due to you!
How to search to see if you have Missing Money:
- Click here, to enter your name and state and click on “go.”
- If you find a match, you must complete a claim form.
- Most states and provinces require a specific form to be completed which asks pertinent information about the property and proof of ownership, such as copies of checkbook, passbook, bonds, etc.
- Follow the instructions to complete the specified form and supply any necessary documentation and identification.
- Claim forms and ID are then mailed to the state for review.
- In return, states will respond to you directly after they have reviewed your submission and verified that you are the rightful owner.
- Most states send you an acknowledgment letter after receiving your claim.
- Claims processing time frames vary between states and provinces and property to property based upon claim activity.
- Click here to view the list of participating states in MissingMoney.