Calling all Kentucky Derby fans! As many will be watching all of the events at Churchill Downs this weekend, I thought I would share one of my family’s recipes for Mint Juleps! This recipe will serve 6.
2 cups white sugar
2 cups filtered water
10 sprigs fresh mint
12 oz. Kentucky bourbon
1) The night before serving, make a simple syrup by combining your water and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, stir constantly. Remove from heat and let steep for 3 minutes.
2) Cool simple syrup, and place in a covered container with 2 sprigs of fresh mint. Refrigerate overnight; 6-8 hours minimum.
3) Before serving, fill 8 collins glasses with crushed ice.
4) In each glass, add 1 teaspoon of your mint-infused simple syrup, and 2 oz. Kentucky bourbon.
5) Stir with a spoon, and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.