Good afternoon, savvy savers! Today I wanted to share with you my recipe for one of my favorite take-out items, Orange Chicken! In my recipe, I cook this in my crockpot, and am able to feed six, for under 5.00! I purchase my chicken through the Zaycon company, in bulk, which you can check outhere. As well, the vegetables, sauces, spices, and rice are purchased at the Dollar Tree.
4 boneless chicken breasts, chunked
1/3 cup flour
a drizzle of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
4 tablespoons of brown sugar
1) In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.
2) Pour the flour into a plastic sandwich bag, then place the chicken into the bag, seal the bag, and shake the chicken until its been coated in the flour.
3) Drizzle a skillet with olive oil, and after shaking any excess flour off of your coated chicken, pan fry, turning once, until lightly golden brown; the chicken does not need to be cooked, just browned.
4) After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot.
5) Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and fold the sauce and chicken together.
6) Cook on low for 6 hours.
7) One hour before eating, steam white rice.
8) Right before serving, steam, in your microwave, frozen mixed vegetables.
9) Serve the chicken over rice and even add veggies.
10) Optionally you can garnish with scallions.