Couponed Crockpot Chicken Mole!
Today I wanted to share with you a very old recipe for Chicken Mole, that I have adopted from a family friend and my live-in caretaker for my early childhood years, Ms. Katie; this recipe was her Mother’s recipe for Chicken Mole, brought with her to the United States, after she naturalized as a citizen in the 1960′s.Though Ms. Katie passed away some time ago, I remember loving the smells coming from the kitchen when this amazing dish was cooking. In honor of the idea that Cinco de Mayo can be celebrated everyday, I could not think of a better time to share this dish with you!I have adapted the recipe to be more coupon, and freezer-cooking friendly, and I can make this dish for under $6.50, and it will serve 8. Keep in mind, the seasoning called for in this recipe I already keep on hand, and I also add carrots, as Ms. Katie did; please note that without the seasoning being in your pantry, this factor might offset your total cost.
Write a review
8 hr 10 min
8 hr 20 min
8 hr 10 min
8 hr 20 min
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into discs
- 1 thinly diced chipotle chile; I use the canned chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Place onion, raisins, garlic, chipotle pepper, peanut butter and crushed tomatoes in slow cooker.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, and cocoa powder, then mix the ingredients together, then add to the crockpot.
- Mix all ingredients in the crockpot together, then carefully add your chicken and then fold the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the dish, and cook on Low for 6 hours.
- Four hours into cooking, add your carrot discs, and fold into your sauce, and cook for an additional 2 hours.
- 30 Minutes before serving, steam rice and corn.
- 10 minutes before serving heat up your tortillas for dipping.
- Serve mole atop a small 1 cup pile of steamed rice, pair with steam corn and tortillas.
- This recipe would make for an awesome cold weather, simple, midweek meal! Enjoy!
The LadyPrefers2Save http://theladyprefers2save.com/