Hello again, savvy savers! If you are anything like me, than one of the tell-tale signs your life needs some relaxation and pampering is by looking at your hair! A week of stress, running errands, a grueling work schedule, and the environment can wreak havoc on your tresses! But no longer! Today I would like to share with you my version of the Aussie 3-Minute Miracle, my favorite commercial hair protein-based mask brand; my version is just as good, can be made for under $0.50 a treatment and is without the nasty chemical bleaching agents of its commercial counterpart!
Here’s what you’ll need for a weekend hair mask:
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 beaten egg
- Microwaveable Bowl
- Clean cotton Tee-Shirt
- 1 Gallon Filtered Water
- Six Drops Tea Tree Oil; optional but awesome!
- Shower cap/ Clingfilm/ Plastic bag
Here’s how to make this hair mask:
- Take your coconut oil and put the desired amount into a microwaveable bowl. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature.
- Melt it in the microwave for 30 seconds until melted; the oil should not be hot, but warm.
- Add the beaten egg and essential oil; the essential oil, aside from its awesome aromatic properties acts as a non-stripping, natural cleansing agent and so you will not need to pre-shampoo if using the oil.
- Whisk all the ingredients together.
- Grab a towel round your shoulders.
- Part and quarter hair into four sections, and start working the mixture into the hair, working from the tips to scalp.
- As each section is finished, twist-up your hair and secure it with a bobby pin.
- Wrap hair with either a shower cap, cling wrap, or grocery store sac.
- Leave on for 30-40 mins and keep it wrapped up and covered
- Remove your plastic cap and massage your scalp, with mixture still in for five minutes, in order to loosen any residue on the scalp.
- Wash out mixture by pouring filter water over your hair, that has been mixed with essential oils of your choice, and work the mixture out of your hair, starting from the scalp to ends. Any residual oil will not damage your hair, and in my case, acts as a natural leave-in conditioner!
- I then wrap my hair in a tee-shirt, and allow it to air dry, and then scrunch-hold to style!
Here’s to you being your most beautiful self!