Hello again, savvy savers! for nightly desserts, and weekend brunches, at both home and with family and friends, one of my go-to recipes is for Budget-Basic Blueberry Overnight French Toast Casserole! This recipe can be made exclusively with ingredients from the Dollar Tree, and can be made for under $5.00, and will serve 6-8, depending on serving size! Here’s how to make it!
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
12 slices whole-grain bread
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk, or dairy-free substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Optional garnish: Maple syrup, whipped cream and fresh blueberries.
1) Grease your stoneware crockpot insert.
2) Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, in a bowl, and fold-in, and cream the spices into the butter.
3) Sprinkle one-third of the mixture evenly over the bottom of your prepared slow cooker.
4) Cover with 6 bread slices.
5) Then sprinkle with another third of the sugar mixture.
6) Add a layer of blueberries on top of the mixture.
7) Now, add your remaining bread slices to the slow cooker.
8) Sprinkle the second layer of bread with remaining sugar mixture.
9) Now beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt in a separate bowl.
10) Pour the mixture evenly into the slow cooker.
11) Press down lightly on bread slices.
12) Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least six hours during the day, for dessert preparation.
13) To cook the casserole, set the slow cooker to low, 3 to 4 hours or until eggs are set browned.
14) Plate warm, and garnish with maple syrup, a dollop of whipped cream and blueberries, if desired.