Christmas Cracker Candy. It’s all your Christmas candy wishes wrapped up in one salty, sweet, and oh so good bite!
Christmas Cracker Candy, unlike other candies that require thermometers and paraffin, is made with only simple ingredients: Crackers, Earth Balance spread, sugar, chocolate chips, and walnuts. So with just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes, you’ve got instant holiday joy!
Making Christmas Cracker Candy couldn’t be easier! Just arrange a sleeve of saltine crackers in a pan. A jelly roll pan or full bakers sheet is perfect for arranging all 36 crackers. While any large rimmed sheet will work well for this recipe.
Next, make your caramel candy topping by bringing equal parts Earth Balance spread, or butter, and brown sugar to a soft boil for 3-5 minutes. You’re looking at a temperature around 270 degrees. Your caramel sauce will be ready when you start to see slight bubbling around the center of your pan.
Now, pour your caramel sauce over your crackers and bake for 5 minutes at 300 degrees. Then carefully remove your candy from the oven and set aside.
While your crackers are in the oven, melt your chocolate chips. You can easily do this by microwaving your chips in 30-second increments until melted. Be sure to stir your chocolate chips after each 30-second round of microwaving.
Then spread your melted chocolate over the hardened caramel and add your toppings. I love black walnuts but pecans, Oreos, chia seeds, or dried fruit works well too!
And if you want evenly sized pieces of candy, consider cutting your candy while it’s still warm. Once cooled it will be harder to do so.
The final step, and notably the hardest, before digging into your Christmas Cracker Candy chill it in the refrigerator until it fully hardens for 2-3 hours.
There you have it! Christmas Cracker Candy! The easiest of all Christmas recipes!
I hope you’ll try your hand at making this awesome holiday candy this season. You’re really going to want to eat it all But no judgment if you do. It’s that good! If you’re looking for other holiday desserts check out my other recipes on the blog and on Pinterest! I’m always finding tasty new recipes!
So, do you plan to try making this Christmas Cracker Candy or do you have go-to holiday candy recipes you’ll be making at home this season? I’d love to hear about them below!
- 1 Sleeve Saltine Crackers
- 1 Cup Earth Balance Spread
- 1 Cup Packed Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 ½ Cups Semi-Sweet Organic Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Line up crackers in a single layer in rows on foil.
- Meanwhile, melt your Earth Balance spread and sugar in a pan.Bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes, until slightly bubbly.
- Pour over crackers and spread evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Bake 5 minutes or until the candy hardens.
- While your crackers are baking, melt your chocolate chips. Microwave them at 30-second increments until melted.
- Remove crackers from the oven.Spread chocolate over crackers evenly.
- Add your toppings (optional)
- Cut into squares while warm.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.
- While a candy thermometer isn't necessary, it may prove useful to those looking for exacting caramel making temperatures.
- As for toppings, any crushed candy, cookie, seed, or nut topping can be substituted for walnuts.
- Graham Crackers will work well in this recipe. Enjoy!