Good evening, savvy savers! For this weeks Wednesdays Ways To Save, I want to share with you one of my favorite money-saving tips, how to refill your own plug-in air fresheners! This tip is very near and dear to my heart, as of late I have been able to purchase several new Febreze and Glade Customizables Units, and as much as I love free units, the new trend in “customizable, dual cartridges,” only means one thing to me, spending double the exorbitant amount I already delve out to keep my home smelling fresh!
Keep in mind, using this tip you will be able to fill each cartridge for only $0.10! This is a 75% savings over store-bought deals! This tip will work with any brand cartridge including Glade, Febreze, Yankee Candle, Bath and Body Works, as well as Glade brand diffusers! I purchase my oils from the Dollar Tree, as the larger bottles come in 20 ounce sizes, and as I only need 2 ounces each cartridge, I can refill each cartridge on a dime, for a dime!
- A plug-in of your choice, with an empty bulb.
- An you like; I purchase my oils at the Dollar Tree!
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- A butter knife, or tweezers, to pry off the cap on the plug-in bulb
- A tea bag
- A paper towel
- A small funnel or piece of wax paper
- A medicine droppers; most pharmacies will give you free droppers, if needed.
- The cap that came with the original cartridge
- Remove the cap from the plug-in bulb then clean it out with warm water; a butter knife, or case knife works well.
- Wrap your cartridge with a tea bag, and place them in a paper towel, to absorb the older residual oil, for one hour.
- After an hour, discard your tea bag (which can be hung in a closet to freshener the air for up to one week; this will also remove moisture in closets as well).
- Take your cartridge and put about 20 drops of your favorite essential oil into the plug-in bulb, using a medicine dropper.
- Put 3 Tablespoons of water into the bulb, using a small funnel or wax paper strip, with the oil, being careful not to let the mixture overflow out of the bulb.
- Put the wick back in the bulb. Be sure it snaps back into to place.
- Place the original cap back on the bulb, or carefully place it in a sandwich bag, for 1 hour to let the scent completely refill the internal wick.
- Plug your refilled cartridge in.
Here’s to saving in the New Year,